"Thursday Stories"-One Inspires Another

In today's post, I'd like to write about two paintings, as they are quite similar.
In fact, the first inspired me to paint another, although in a different media, and a much different size.
It is something I like to do from time to time, to see how works translate from oil to pastel, or vice-versa, particularly if I like the subject matter.

"Shadow Whispers" is a pastel painting that I painted earlier this year. I entered it in a national pastel exhibition, where it won a first place award...nice!
 I had been plein air painting in this particular spot, and really enjoyed how the late afternoon shadows played across the desert landscape. It is a subject that I knew I wanted to go deeper in to, and make larger  ( 16x18) as I was quite inspired, so I did this studio version from my plein air pieces and photos.
I was fortunate enough to have the work out on exhibit, and it  then went home with new collectors during a studio visit.
However, it was a work that was not in my possession for very long at all!
So, recently, I decided to simply do a smaller oil version of a similar theme and subject.
This oil painting; as yet untitled is the result, in a 12x12. You can see that I lightened up the palette a bit, but the subject is still about how the light plays across a landscape with desert scrub. The smaller size means that I could be a bit less descriptive with some of the elements. I may tweak it a bit yet, but I wanted this work to be a bit looser. Often , when working smaller, the temptation is to go tighter, with small fussy detail, and I wanted to avoid that.
So, one location, with similar lighting and elements can inspire multiple works.
...and it is a good challenge to switch media when doing so!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post- Artists Collecting Art

Thursday Stories- Amethyst Path