Thursday Stories- Amethyst Path
Very often, since I work in both pastel and oil, I'll use the inspiration from one piece to paint another in a different medium.
Such is the case of "Amethyst Path"
Such is the case of "Amethyst Path"
This is a 12x 12 gallery wrap oil. It was influenced by a larger pastel, that was a successful painting.
I wanted to simplify things a bit, and have the work be more about the shapes and warm/cool color palette. I also wanted to see how my original painting would translate to an oil. I used different source material, but with very similar lighting, and in the same locale.
"Shadow Whispers " is the pastel painting that inspired "Amethyst Path" . As you can see, I kept the square format, which I like working in. There is much more detail , and stronger value contrasts.
This piece won a 1st place national show award, and also sold...so I consider it a success!
Last winter I spent a lot of plein air time in the locale of these two paintings. Here is one of the pastel plein air pieces. The light, when the sun is going down is just wonderful, and it is the real subject of all three of these paintings. I did several plein air pieces in this area, going out about 4 pm on many afternoons. The light effects only last a short time at this time of day, at this time of year. It was such a pleasure to find a place near my home that I love to paint!
"Amethyst Pathway" is available on my web site, in the " Thursday Stories" section of Art Works
Here is the link..
...and don't forget you can sign up to have these posts sent directly to your inbox! Easy to do so at the left side of the post.
Thank you for reading!



Comments
Post a Comment