The Sunday Post-Inspired, and Happy Father's Day
This past week, I went to Las Vegas for the first time.
It was a bit overwhelming at times, but high energy and full of excitement and inspiration.
I had wanted to visit some gardens, and see if I could set up and paint , as I knew that they would be elaborate and colorful...and gardens , especially with architecture are a favorite subject.
...and one can find places just about anywhere that are planted with colorful blooms, like this corner in the little town where I live.
I knew that the courtyard of the Bellagio always has an elaborate , themed installation...but it was torn apart for a seasonal change, and roped off. Disappointing.
While at the Bellagio, I did see the Chihuly glass ceiling, and also visited an in-house gallery of the work of Richard Macdonald. You can see his fabulous work at www.richardmacdonald.com
I was familiar with his work from having gone to Art Expo in NY for many years, a few decades ago, but I did not know that he was associated with the Cirque du Soleil . We did also see a performance , which was just awesome!
So, I was inspired to do some figurative work, at some point. Now, I do add an occasional figure now and then to my landscapes. And I have made it a practice to sketch people in public places, like airports, and cafes...which I think helps keep me on my toes.
"Gardner Girls" , 18x24 is a piece that incorporates garden, architecture , and figures. I had done this a few years ago , from a trip to the Isabel Gardner museum in Boston.
Well, it occurred to me to set up in the poker room at the big casino/hotel where we were staying!
Now, that is not something I had ever done before . I have taken my sketchbook to a few house games, as my husband Wayne plays. Well, you can be sure that I had to talk to a few people so that I wouldn't just have been thrown out. It is not something that they had ever had take place, either!
So, with permission granted from the poker room manager, I set up in a quiet corner, and went to work. The above pastel, " Hold'Em " is the resulting piece.It was just so much fun! That would be Wayne in the black and cream shirt.
Happy Father's Day to Dads everywhere...I hope that you are getting to do something fun!
It was a bit overwhelming at times, but high energy and full of excitement and inspiration.
I had wanted to visit some gardens, and see if I could set up and paint , as I knew that they would be elaborate and colorful...and gardens , especially with architecture are a favorite subject.
...and one can find places just about anywhere that are planted with colorful blooms, like this corner in the little town where I live.
I knew that the courtyard of the Bellagio always has an elaborate , themed installation...but it was torn apart for a seasonal change, and roped off. Disappointing.
While at the Bellagio, I did see the Chihuly glass ceiling, and also visited an in-house gallery of the work of Richard Macdonald. You can see his fabulous work at www.richardmacdonald.com
I was familiar with his work from having gone to Art Expo in NY for many years, a few decades ago, but I did not know that he was associated with the Cirque du Soleil . We did also see a performance , which was just awesome!
So, I was inspired to do some figurative work, at some point. Now, I do add an occasional figure now and then to my landscapes. And I have made it a practice to sketch people in public places, like airports, and cafes...which I think helps keep me on my toes.
"Gardner Girls" , 18x24 is a piece that incorporates garden, architecture , and figures. I had done this a few years ago , from a trip to the Isabel Gardner museum in Boston.
Well, it occurred to me to set up in the poker room at the big casino/hotel where we were staying!
Now, that is not something I had ever done before . I have taken my sketchbook to a few house games, as my husband Wayne plays. Well, you can be sure that I had to talk to a few people so that I wouldn't just have been thrown out. It is not something that they had ever had take place, either!
So, with permission granted from the poker room manager, I set up in a quiet corner, and went to work. The above pastel, " Hold'Em " is the resulting piece.It was just so much fun! That would be Wayne in the black and cream shirt.
Happy Father's Day to Dads everywhere...I hope that you are getting to do something fun!


Comments
Post a Comment