Thursday Stories- The Guardian
Some paintings I have done a while ago, and remain favorites.
So, in the tradition of " throwback Thursday", I'm presenting this piece, and will share the story.
Such is the case with " The Sicilian Guardian" , pastel, 16x20.
I came across this scene in Catania, Sicily , on a narrow side street. Many places have small vegetable markets, away from the main stalls.
The young man leaning out of the doorway caught my eye. It was a late afternoon; and the light was starting to fade.Together with the piles of brightly colored fresh vegetables , It made a combination that was irresistible to a painter's eye. This was all in a day's work for him, and he was likely unaware of the juxtaposition of some of the elements...which would make a wonderful story.
The story is the grouping of busts under the main window, with the central one having wings. It was almost as if this figure were standing guard over the young seller, hence the title. Kind of like his own guardian angel.
To compose the picture, I rearranged some of the vegetables, and other elements.; note how the eggplants are oriented towards the main figure , as well as the pile of beans and the lower cherry tomatoes. ( And oh, are they delicious!) The signage was changed to keep the eye in the painting, as well as the lower crating. The colors of the building were kept subdued, and a bit dingy...to focus on the other elements, and also to add to the feeling of the run down state of many of the structures.
This was a case of one of those rare times when a wonderful composition presents a painting opportunity ...if one keeps the eyes open! I like to think that the young man's mother would like this piece very much...as a Mom myself, I do love the idea.
This painting is on my web site , in the "Thursday Stories " section, and newly available.
www.christinedebrosky.com
So, in the tradition of " throwback Thursday", I'm presenting this piece, and will share the story.
Such is the case with " The Sicilian Guardian" , pastel, 16x20.
I came across this scene in Catania, Sicily , on a narrow side street. Many places have small vegetable markets, away from the main stalls.
The young man leaning out of the doorway caught my eye. It was a late afternoon; and the light was starting to fade.Together with the piles of brightly colored fresh vegetables , It made a combination that was irresistible to a painter's eye. This was all in a day's work for him, and he was likely unaware of the juxtaposition of some of the elements...which would make a wonderful story.
The story is the grouping of busts under the main window, with the central one having wings. It was almost as if this figure were standing guard over the young seller, hence the title. Kind of like his own guardian angel.
To compose the picture, I rearranged some of the vegetables, and other elements.; note how the eggplants are oriented towards the main figure , as well as the pile of beans and the lower cherry tomatoes. ( And oh, are they delicious!) The signage was changed to keep the eye in the painting, as well as the lower crating. The colors of the building were kept subdued, and a bit dingy...to focus on the other elements, and also to add to the feeling of the run down state of many of the structures.
This was a case of one of those rare times when a wonderful composition presents a painting opportunity ...if one keeps the eyes open! I like to think that the young man's mother would like this piece very much...as a Mom myself, I do love the idea.
This painting is on my web site , in the "Thursday Stories " section, and newly available.
www.christinedebrosky.com

Comments
Post a Comment