The Sunday Post- Unlikely Inspiration and Help

Most days I go out for a nice long walk., either in the early morning, afternoon, or evening, depending on the time of year.
I am certainly inspired by the vistas that I see, particularly in the late afternoon, when the fading light takes on a warm glow, and shadows are long patterns or jewel like tones.

"My Evening Walk", pastel, 17x23

However, many times my walks afford me the opportunity to see things in a new way. Often, I am working on , or working out a current painting when I need to take a break, or to start the day with a clear head.It is during these times when I notice things that are inspiring, particularly when thought of apart from their function. 
When I am in this relaxed state, I simply enjoy the visual aspect of things, and try to let problems go to the back burner.
I can't tell you how many times I have walked past rusty old objects, and have marveled at the beautiful color combinations.

The first photo is of a wheelbarrow that at one time was a red. Now, the paint has faded and oxidized...but I just love the combination of the rich oranges, the faded coral, and the cool grey greens of the exposed metal. 
The second photo is of a wheel from a different barrow, that had been blue, and again, I love the rich browns with the robin egg blue, the deeper turquoise at the bottom, AND the coral showing through the holes from the first wheelbarrow. ...and how about the warm peach light showing through the upper hole? It glows! What fabulous landscape color combinations!

Here are a couple of pots on my studio stoop. The complementary clay color certainly enhances the rich cobalt of the ceramic pot.

Now, here is a landscape where these colors have been put to use.
"Verde Winter Whispers", pastel, 18 x 24.

Another way to look at things is for painting problem solving.
Since I need to take breaks during painting, these are the tiles that I see on my bathroom floor.
I can't tell you how many times I have been reminded of a solution when looking at them!

"Tuzigoot Shadows"

In a subject like the above painting, it would be tempting to render the brush in  a uniform way, polka dotted across the landscape with distinct edges.. Looking at an abstract pattern helps to place things in a more organic way, with more  subtle transitions . 

Right now, we are in monsoon season here in the Southwest. I love to watch the magnificent clouds grow and build in the afternoon heat.


These too, are helping me to work out an element in a painting. Of course, just watching the clouds helps to paint clouds...but it is also helping me to paint something else entirely.

Here is a close up section of a current oil painting that I am working on. the wonderful growing shapes of the billowing clouds are much like this section of blooms , as they also grow and billow. I particularly like the way that clouds capture light...and petals are transluscent as well.

It pays to keep an open mind...and even more importantly, eyes wide open when gazing around the beautiful world that we live in. 




Comments

  1. "my evening walk" is beautiful!
    the walking keeps the mind, body and soul of an artist healthy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy your weekly blog post. They remind me of times and places I traveled and worked while living out west. As with your's, these are places that few visit and are of a beautiful solitude that bring great peace. Thanks Wyndham

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank YOU, Wyndham!
    I really appreciate your reading the posts, and your thoughtful comments. The overlooked places often have a subtle beauty, and I do love to paint those rather than the more famous spots.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post- Artists Collecting Art

"Thursday Stories"-One Inspires Another

Thursday Stories- Amethyst Path