The Sunday Post- Artists Collecting Art
Today I am reframing some of the pieces in my own art collection, by talented other artists.
Indeed, I do have many of my own works that I want to keep, but I am an art lover.
"Florentine Gold" is one of my own that will stay in my home.
However, I always think it is a little strange when I visit another artist's home, and only see their own pieces around. I think they are missing out on a great joy, and constant source of inspiration!
I have written about this previously , on my blog that was on my web site.
Since then I have added a few pieces , and it is always a good reminder to enjoy another perspective.
I certainly consider myself quite blessed that I can support other artists, albeit in a small way!
Here is the piece that I am most proud to own.
Indeed, I do have many of my own works that I want to keep, but I am an art lover.
"Florentine Gold" is one of my own that will stay in my home.
However, I always think it is a little strange when I visit another artist's home, and only see their own pieces around. I think they are missing out on a great joy, and constant source of inspiration!
I have written about this previously , on my blog that was on my web site.
Since then I have added a few pieces , and it is always a good reminder to enjoy another perspective.
I certainly consider myself quite blessed that I can support other artists, albeit in a small way!
Here is the piece that I am most proud to own.
It is a portrait study by Eugene Speicher, a name that is sadly all but forgotten today. In the time, he was considered one of America's top portrait painters in the 1930's and 40's. I purchased this at an estate sale at the American Academy of Arts and Letters in NY a few years ago. It is unsigned, but I have documentation for the piece.
This is one of the pieces I was re-framing, by Elizabeth Mowry, a dear friend.
I just love it, and it reminds me that we are all on a path, and sometimes go through dark passages; other times sunlit and bright. We look forward, and back, and try to stay focused and present. I can also study this, and learn from the sensitive stokes,carefully placed.
this is an oil by an artist named Janet Weaver. It has a flash flare on the vase, but you can still see most of the painting. I think it is just so lovely, and I can feel the gentle breeze of the fabric. I marvel at the skill in rendering the objects.
This is my newest purchase, by Daniel Cory, a Maine artist. This plein air just captures the light and essence of the simple storefront.I will enjoy studying the fresh strokes, and harmonious palette.
So,if you are an art lover, don't hesitate to purchase pieces whenever, and wherever you can! Not only will you be making an artist happy, but you will be adding to your own painting knowledge.
Original art teaches us things that one just can't see from looking at reproductions.




I love to purchase art from my art instructors. After taking a workshop, and watching them paint for three days, I really feel a connection to their work. I can later study it and gain a better understanding of their process. I surround myself with these bits of inspiration and they make me want to be a better artist.
ReplyDeleteThat is wonderful, Marcia! As an instructor myself, I always appreciate it so very much when a participant purchases a work, and of course, I have purchased teacher's works my self. You make an excellent point about gaining insightful understanding.
Deletei agree christine, it's an honor to have work by other artists on my walls!
ReplyDeleteIt is indeed...a constant source of inspiration!
Delete