The Sunday Post- Yellow Pigments

As an artist, I love color...and pigments.
From time to time it is interesting to experiment with unusual pigments.

Yellow is a color that I have always liked, and I know that it is not always popular among designers...however it sure is this season!
As one who loves to paint the effects of sunlight, it is always a favorite of mine.
The effects in"Gently Down the Stream " would not have been possible without the yellow pigments that I used. I needed some opacity, and wanted a soft quality to the light.

Here are three unusual yellows that I have used ...depending on the desired effect.
They are right out of the tube in the top row, and are from left to right:
Nickel Titanate Yellow, Hansa Yellow Light, and Indian Yellow.

In the second row they are thinned with a mixture of mineral spirits and medium.
 Nickel titante is a cool, greenish very opaque yellow. Quite unusual.
Hansa is often used as a substitute for the cadmium yellows, but it is a bit more transparent.
Indian yellow is an organic pigment, and very transparent; wonderful for glazes. Notice how dark it is out of the tube, and the beautiful    the transparency in the second row. I used it to glaze the trees in the above painting.


This little study, " three and a Half Lemons" is a feast of yellows! sometimes I will do a little piece like this to explore pigments. It is available on my web site...
www.christinedebrosky.com in the " Thursday Stories" section .


It is a joy to just to play with paint...and then we know what pigments can do when we want to get serious!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post- Artists Collecting Art

"Thursday Stories"-One Inspires Another

Thursday Stories- Amethyst Path