Thursday Stories- Aspen and Ferns
From time to time, I have written articles for various art magazines.
Recently, I was asked to do a step-by-step demo and accompanying article for Pratique des Artes , a french national publication. I have been honored to have been featured a couple of times previously, so I was happy to contribute.
" Aspen and Ferns" is the featured painting. I thought it would be nice to have an August issue piece with a subject in full summer greens. this one sure has a variety!
I'll share some of the steps with you...
My work always starts with a value study, above, .; it is my game plan.
This shows my soft vine charcoal under lines, and my lights placed in the piece.
This is the whole surface covered with color shapes.
Recently, I was asked to do a step-by-step demo and accompanying article for Pratique des Artes , a french national publication. I have been honored to have been featured a couple of times previously, so I was happy to contribute.
" Aspen and Ferns" is the featured painting. I thought it would be nice to have an August issue piece with a subject in full summer greens. this one sure has a variety!
I'll share some of the steps with you...
My work always starts with a value study, above, .; it is my game plan.
This shows my soft vine charcoal under lines, and my lights placed in the piece.
This is the whole surface covered with color shapes.
This is my working on some of the negative shapes
Next I worked on more of the foreground.
And here is the final piece again, so that you can see the progress in sequence.
If you are lucky enough to be in France, I hope that you get to read the entire article. In the meantime, this will give you an idea!







Comments
Post a Comment