Thursday Stories-My Evening Walk

Just about every day, I go for a long walk....sometimes for a few miles.


"My Evening Walk", pastel 17x23

This is one of the routes that I take near my house.
Even though I have waked here very often, it seems just a little different every time. 
I do particularly like it in the very early morning...or as in the painting, when the evening shadows get long. The light of the setting sun behind the mountain  just picks out elements of the landscape....like the clumps of rabbit brush that are a mustard yellow.
I love the long streaks of light, too.
The shadows themselves get to be rich, and jewel toned. I used some gorgeous pastels from France...Henri Roche; which are still made by hand for the luscious blue violet. The color is called Iris. Irresistible!
I chose a warm amber color for my support, as I knew it would complement the rich blues beautifully...and there would be a warm infusion of color where the paper shows through in spots. So much like the warm sunlight that I walk in, as it permeates the landscape.
As the landscape goes back, it is softer and more muted. Sometimes the shadow colors seem to vibrate...so I added the turquoise greens in some of the brush...which captures the energy in the shadows.
The painting is about the terrain that I traverse during my walks...but the real subject is the sunlight and shadows that streaks across my path.


This fall, I'll be teaching a workshop at the Scottsdale Artist's School, October 6&7, 
"Sunlight and Shadow!"
We will be working with how to energize pastel paintings with dark and light, and sparkling color.

I will be working with my new pastel sets; "Sunlight and Shadow", and will try to have some available for the workshop. Ahead of time, they are available on Amazon. CD001, and CD002.

For more information about the workshop or  to register online,  you may visit https://scottsdaleartschool.org
If you are a pastel painter...or would like to learn I would love to have you join me.!


Every time I walk this path, I am just enthralled with the light!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post- Artists Collecting Art

"Thursday Stories"-One Inspires Another

Thursday Stories- Amethyst Path