Thursday Stories- Windswept Spring

Sometimes I paint a work that is a little different from my usual. It can be a different subject, palette, or treatment.

I am known as an impressionist painter, and this one really has the hallmarks with the energetic strokes. I painted them more exuberantly than usual, as I wanted to express the wind blowing, and the time of year when things are just bursting forth. It is all about energy!

I also used a surface that I don't usually.It is a coarser sanded paper, mounted to a board. The choice was perfect for the subject, and handling.
Notice the triangle in the foreground, which is a perfect lead-in going up the hill.
Note also, the the strokes in the foreground are bold and heavy, diminishing and getting lighter going up the hill, all the way up to the softly blended sky. This is a good way to use spatial perspective in a pastel work.
In the foreground, I was able to use some saturated blues, blue-greens,  and purples, as these are balanced by the rich blue of the sky in the upper right corner.

The locale, believe it, or not is a meadow near our home in Arizona. This particular place is usually a bit more barren, but seemed lush after some spring rains. It reminded me of the hills back in upstate NY, but it could be anywhere there are grasses and wildflowers. I always marvel how mother nature has a way of arranging the blooms perfectly!

Did you know that you can have these posts delivered to your inbox? Just click on the left of the post to sign up.

This painting is available on my web site, www.christinedebrosky.com ,  in the " Thursday Stories" collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post- Artists Collecting Art

"Thursday Stories"-One Inspires Another

Thursday Stories- Amethyst Path