The Sunday Post-Having the Nerve
This past week, I taught a pastel workshop in my studio.
I had lessons planned about various design elements, accompanying handouts, and examples...as I usually do.
I did something that took guts...and that is talk about how I thought that the previous day's demo was a failure, and why. The lesson was to drive home the fact that not every painting will be show worthy. sometimes, things just do not turn out as we have planned. ...and it is OKAY.
The way to handle it is to first of all recognize the fact that a piece just is not working, and to not continue trying to save it!
Next is to analyze where it was going wrong...and it usually is a combination of design elements, or material choices. In this case, I had selected pastel papers that were not right for the effect I was after.
To just LET IT GO, and to start another is the lesson learned.
I also know , from years of experience, and many successes, and not such great work under my belt, that the next paintings will be all the better for going in a different direction.
I had lessons planned about various design elements, accompanying handouts, and examples...as I usually do.
I did something that took guts...and that is talk about how I thought that the previous day's demo was a failure, and why. The lesson was to drive home the fact that not every painting will be show worthy. sometimes, things just do not turn out as we have planned. ...and it is OKAY.
The way to handle it is to first of all recognize the fact that a piece just is not working, and to not continue trying to save it!
Next is to analyze where it was going wrong...and it usually is a combination of design elements, or material choices. In this case, I had selected pastel papers that were not right for the effect I was after.
To just LET IT GO, and to start another is the lesson learned.
I also know , from years of experience, and many successes, and not such great work under my belt, that the next paintings will be all the better for going in a different direction.
"Silver Springs Field" is a pastel that came about after a few frustrated efforts . Yes, sometimes it can be a few paintings in a row that do not work out.
And then, I have cleared the way for successive pieces that are all about what I wish to convey. Sometimes, even award winners!
The look on one of the student's faces after I explained and shared my failure was first, one of shock, and then relief.
One comment was an emphatic, " Oh, Thank GOD!". To me, that was precious!

I just had a workshop with Lyn Asselta and she painted with yellows and blues instead of green pastel sticks. This painting of yours is in that vein, and it's gorgeous. Back on topic: I commend you for emphasizing that not every painting is a masterpiece.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your lovely comment. Lyn is a great painter. Every artist has pieces that do not work...no matter how accomplished!
ReplyDelete