The Sunday Post-Painting Orchards
Most artists have a favorite subject that they return to time after time.
I have a few...and perhaps my favorite of all are the apple orchards.
I grew up in New York State's Hudson Valley, where there are an abundance.
I have a few...and perhaps my favorite of all are the apple orchards.
I grew up in New York State's Hudson Valley, where there are an abundance.
"Hazy Afternoon", oil on canvas, 24x24.
I have painted them in all seasons, and every light. Of course, I learned about painting them by doing numerous plein air pieces, on location. There is nothing like actually being IN the orchards with the sound of birds, bees, and the smell of the apples, particularly when they are ripe.
When we relocated to Arizona, I was delighted to learn that fruit orchards played a role in the early development in this region.
"Snow Slide" is of an apple orchard just outside of Sedona, and was part of an early homestead. The fruit was grown for the many families who came to mine the copper, and the trees still stand.
I have found that others enjoy them as well. It is a subject that is universally appealing.
Here are two of my latest. "" Late Summer Afternoon", oil 24x30 is a mosaic of loose brushstrokes."
Late summer Winesap", pastel 16x20 is currently at the American Impressionist Society exhibition in the Peninsula School, Wisconsin.
Late summer Winesap", pastel 16x20 is currently at the American Impressionist Society exhibition in the Peninsula School, Wisconsin.
I don't think I will ever tire of the subject...I have been painting them for over 30 years, and I haven't yet!



Comments
Post a Comment