Thursday Stories - My Honest Posies
From time to time, I paint florals from life.
Mainly because the practice keeps me honest; there is always something to be observed and learned from direct observation.
Also, because it is just plain fun!
These are not for any particular shows, or even an audience...they are for me...with no constraints.
Many of them do turn out nicely, and I have found that they are desirable little paintings. Many have been purchased as gifts for people.
Mainly because the practice keeps me honest; there is always something to be observed and learned from direct observation.
Also, because it is just plain fun!
These are not for any particular shows, or even an audience...they are for me...with no constraints.
Many of them do turn out nicely, and I have found that they are desirable little paintings. Many have been purchased as gifts for people.
"Burgundy Petals " is one that I spontaneously painted from a section of a pot on my patio.
I really liked the rich, dark petals and leaves. Geraniums always have interesting shapes; both positive, and negative.
" Magenta and Indigo " came about in the same way. It was painted about a week later. It was so pleasurable to paint the first one that I just had to follow up with another patio pot. the leaves are much lighter. I liked the bright fuscia color of the bloom, edged with the white ...nature's trim! I also was intrigued with the ink dark bloom from another plant.
For these, I usually start out with my main bloom, and work out from there. You may notice that the panel edges are painted much more loosely, with less detail. I do try to be true to the palette of the blossoms, as I am learning from nature in these.
I have made the effort to paint florals from life all during my career. It is often a refreshing change from what I have been working on, or sometimes a jump start to my work. It is particularly helpful when I have been working on studio pieces from reference photos. I helps me think in a refreshed way , with new eyes...and in an honest response to nature!
I have made the effort to paint florals from life all during my career. It is often a refreshing change from what I have been working on, or sometimes a jump start to my work. It is particularly helpful when I have been working on studio pieces from reference photos. I helps me think in a refreshed way , with new eyes...and in an honest response to nature!
Both are available on my web site, in the " Thursday Stories" section.


Comments
Post a Comment