The Sunday Post-Sedona Plein Air
All this past week, I have been painting in the Sedona Plein Air Festival.
"Sun down, Lights Up" is one of my favorite pieces from the week.
Well, I'm back in the studio today, tired and happy for the experience. I would like to share with you just what it was like as a participant.
It opened on Saturday with a welcome, orientation maps and goodies, and a delicious brunch for the artists. We were asked to bring about six works to hang in the gallery, in our own designated spot.
I saw many old friends, and a lot of new faces from all over the US; even a young lady from upstate NY....the old stomping grounds.We had a few free days of painting before the organized spots for the public to observe.
I found a dry place to paint my first one...which I did not finish...it rained quite hard!
Then, I went home, which is about 18 miles away, to change for the opening of the showing of our studio, or previously done pieces.
For a couple of night during the event , I found myself awake during the wee hours. What to do, but grab my materials, and render the starry sky! I did two such nocturnes. This one is called " Sleepless", and the other one is "Insomnia".
"Sun down, Lights Up" is one of my favorite pieces from the week.
Well, I'm back in the studio today, tired and happy for the experience. I would like to share with you just what it was like as a participant.
It opened on Saturday with a welcome, orientation maps and goodies, and a delicious brunch for the artists. We were asked to bring about six works to hang in the gallery, in our own designated spot.
I saw many old friends, and a lot of new faces from all over the US; even a young lady from upstate NY....the old stomping grounds.We had a few free days of painting before the organized spots for the public to observe.
I found a dry place to paint my first one...which I did not finish...it rained quite hard!
Then, I went home, which is about 18 miles away, to change for the opening of the showing of our studio, or previously done pieces.
"Silver Springs Field", pastel, 18x24.
At the opening, I met a lovely collector from Austin Texas, who purchased this piece.
The next day, it was clearing, and I headed out to paint the wonderful clouds.
"A Breezy Day".
My new collector came out to this spot to watch for a little while.
In the afternoon, I found a different spot, and came up with this one.
"Drama Queen" was difficult to paint, as it was rain and then sun all afternoon....I had to keep moving my easel with all of my pastels. I stuck with it, and was rather pleased with the result.
Someone else was also, as it sold almost immediately!
The next day I rode up to Flagstaff, as I wanted to see the progress of the aspen ...are they at peak?From my house, I could see the San Francisco peaks...all covered in snow which is where they are in Arizona. They were just turning, but not full gold yet. I set up to paint them with a backdrop of the dazzling snow. It was COLD !I stuck it out for the morning, ….the result is in the last " group photo".
I then went down through Oak Creek Canyon, and painted at Silver Springs Campground. The piece is now at the Sedona Arts Center.
Next morning, it was rainy again, and I slept in! I then went down to Clarkdale, and found a wonderful vignette of a classic car next to a chile red building. Duh, no photo. This painting is also up at the Arts Center. In the afternoon, I painted down at the Verde River where there are wonderful golden blooms of a type of aster.
Our first public session was on Wednesday morning, at L'Auberge, a beautiful resort on Oak Creek. I found a beautiful corner with its own little waterfall. Two of my favorite people came and joined me to watch, ( they own a dozen of my paintings!) as well as a good friend, supporter, and good painter herself. The resulting piece is also up at the SAC gallery.
The afternoon found me at Tlaquepaque, a re-created Mexican village. I started " Sun Down, Lights Up", and worked as long as I could on it.It got dark...and I got cold.
The next morning, I worked in the studio, framing several of the works that I had completed. Then in the late morning was a session at Seven Canyons Golf Resort. Gorgeous place! My finished piece is also in the group photo. It followed with a nice reception on the lawn. I then went back to Tlaquepque to get a little work in for my started painting from there so I could finish it up.
Framing and getting work "unsmudged" was the order for the next morning. We were then to hang our work from the week, with a gala opening in the early evening. It was exciting, festive with good food and drink ,and well attended. I met a lovely young lady who was in town from Las Vegas who knew my work from Instagram , and she had been following me for some time. How fun is that?
The "Main Street Paint Out" was the next morning, and I found a good spot, and conversed with many passer-by. My new friend from the previous evening came by, and shot some video of me working, as she is a talented pastel painter as well. The event followed with a delicious barbeque . and so ended the week. Goodbyes to old and new friends from a packed painting week!
Here are some of the framed works....having a rest on my studio sofa. I need one now, too!
Here are some of the framed works....having a rest on my studio sofa. I need one now, too!






Beautiful work, as always, Christine!
ReplyDeleteWow! What a week! Beautiful work, and a whirlwind of activity- maybe I should write a poem when I have trouble sleeping. Rest up for the next adventure!
ReplyDeleteThank you for enjoying my work!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Carol. It was indeed a whirlwind. You should write a " Sleepless in Saratoga " poem!
ReplyDelete