The Sunday Post- A New Student
This past week, I had a session with a private student.
His wife wanted to gift him with a session for a special birthday.
As I often do with a beginning student, I suggested starting in oil, and I would set up a simple still life. This isn't the one I used, but it was this simple.
I always like to have new students start off by working directly from life. I also know that taking out an inexperienced painter to work en plein air would be quite overwhelming. so, in the studio it was, and oils are a medium that most people are interested in trying; branching out to other media can come later.
I suspected that my student was brand new to painting...and I was glad that I had planned to explain materials, good use of brush, and getting the feel of the paint before even starting. I provided a small panel, and wrote pigment names, then had him paint spots of corresponding paint, and then more spots, using added white.
We then proceeded to the set-up and a larger canvas.
This was so refreshing! The new pupil had not EVER painted before, so he had an interesting perspective.
It was so nice to get a taste of the whole process through fresh eyes.
He also had not had the opportunity to develop bad painting habits...a clean slate in other words.
I do think that he will continue on his brand new art journey...and I am so glad to have been a part of the very beginning.
His wife wanted to gift him with a session for a special birthday.
" Persimmons", oil, 9x12.
As I often do with a beginning student, I suggested starting in oil, and I would set up a simple still life. This isn't the one I used, but it was this simple.
I always like to have new students start off by working directly from life. I also know that taking out an inexperienced painter to work en plein air would be quite overwhelming. so, in the studio it was, and oils are a medium that most people are interested in trying; branching out to other media can come later.
I suspected that my student was brand new to painting...and I was glad that I had planned to explain materials, good use of brush, and getting the feel of the paint before even starting. I provided a small panel, and wrote pigment names, then had him paint spots of corresponding paint, and then more spots, using added white.
We then proceeded to the set-up and a larger canvas.
This was so refreshing! The new pupil had not EVER painted before, so he had an interesting perspective.
It was so nice to get a taste of the whole process through fresh eyes.
He also had not had the opportunity to develop bad painting habits...a clean slate in other words.
I do think that he will continue on his brand new art journey...and I am so glad to have been a part of the very beginning.

Comments
Post a Comment