The Sunday Post-Rainbow Ribbons
As a big part of my career, I have entered numerous exhibitions, juried shows and competitions.
I have been very fortunate in winning my share of awards and prizes.
I have been very fortunate in winning my share of awards and prizes.
This is a selection of ribbons that I keep in my studio, in a basket.
I have always seen it as a way to gain exposure, publicity, and even cash awards and some sales over the years.
When I started painting seriously, I entered local and regional shows. The acceptance and sometimes ribbons were a big help to my blossoming career ...and to my fragile confidence. The occasional awards became more frequent, and then I entered regional and national competitions.
Since I lived in a rural area, and do now, I also felt that it was a way to reach a bigger market.
When I relocated to Arizona, I actually got rid of a whole drawer full, and only kept a few. Since then , I have added many more
Certain organizations are considered prestigious, and I felt it was important to add those shows to my resume. It has served as a resume builder, and has helped me to gain a following, and students. I am also quite proud of those that have been judged by an artist whom I admire.
To be very honest, I do not think that collectors care quite so much about awards and organizations.
Artists seem to, particularly for the "street cred" and bragging rights on social media...which at times does have its' place. I have been guilty of participating.
Usually, however, the sales in these shows are few and far between. I do not think that most people realize the expenses involved...which are photographing the work, and the entry fees...sometimes which also require a membership fee. Once accepted, there is framing, packing and shipping and often a handling fee, and then return shipping if the work does not sell.
So, I am pulling back from showing in so many. My resume is quite solid, at this point, thank you.
I think, these days, I would rather pack up my work and send it off to a new collector's home, where the work can be cherished and enjoyed.

Comments
Post a Comment