What is in a Name?- the Sunday Post

As most of you likely know, very few paintings come by without a lot of work, and working knowledge. Occasionally they do come easily, but this is rare!
Sometimes, a painting is done quickly, and I am at a loss for a title.
" Oak Creek Ochre" , oil is a piece that I didn't have a hard time in naming. Often I will choose a dominant color, and tie it to the place name. I do often like to have an alliterative ring to titles....which help people remember the names.

Other times, I will think of a phrase that may apply. This one is " Between a Rock and a Soft Place",, pastel, 18x24  which is a play on the phrase about someone in a tough spot, and we say " between a rock and a hard place." A big part of the idea behind this painting is the contrast and textures between the soft grasses and the hard rocks.

"I'll Follow the Sun", pastel, 12x12 is a song title. The focus is on the trail leading up to the bright, sunny background. This title seems to fit most of my work!

Many times when I start a painting, I'll write down words and phrases that help me to focus on the feelings that I wish to convey to the viewer...things that attracted me to the view , and made me want to paint the piece in the first place. And, later , this is helpful when it comes time to name the painting. 
So, there are many ways to name a painting, and I do believe that it is an important part of finishing and presenting the work. The titles can tell the viewer where the place is, or something about the palette ( which is part of the painting process) , or an insight in to the emotions that inspired the work.

All in a name, and a day's work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post- Artists Collecting Art

"Thursday Stories"-One Inspires Another

Thursday Stories- Amethyst Path